Golf Santander

Last week I had the opportunity to play at Golf Santander, a golf course in Madrid owned by the famous Santander Bank. 

A little further away from the city center, the course surrounds the Santander headquarters which, I am sure, creates a beautiful view for employees just like the one below. 

Hole 12
Hole 12

The course is wide and open, showing the ample land that Santander owns. There is a good amount of water, and the turf of the grass is amazing. It is so good that when I hit a wedge, I can make thinner, smaller divots, whereas, on some other courses, the head does not glide through the grass and gets stuck, creating larger, uglier divots. 


Just look at this fairway! The course is kept in great condition.

In my opinion, the most picturesque holes on the course are hole 7 (par 3), hole 12 (par 5), hole 17 (par 3), and lastly, hole 18 (par 5). Hole 7 and 17 are both intimidating par 3's with water surrounding the green. The wind makes these two holes especially challenging because there are no trees that block the wind and so it affects the ball directly. Club selection is crucial to score well on these two holes. To be honest, on hole 7 where there is water in the front and bunker in the back, I suggest escaping to the right if you're playing tight competition where a stroke changes everything. 

Hole 17

The only downside is how exclusive the course is to the public. It is only open to Santander employees, stockholders, and their guests. This explains the reason why there is little traffic on the course. I went on a Sunday, a few weeks after we were out from quarantine, and there were very little people. We played 18 holes in exactly 4 hours. 


The practice facility has a Santander touch, too, with a Santander logo on every practice ball. The practice range was actually something to awe about; it was my first time in Madrid where I could hit off good grass in my morning warm-up. Also, I did not get the chance to see this close, but they have a really good academy on the other side of the range. 
 

To learn more about Golf Santander:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LaceLocker and 2019 Tournaments

Little about me, my goals, and purpose/ まほです!よろしくお願いします!

Updates from Japan・日本でゴルフ